Since I work at a magazine, I am able to get my hands on a lot of beauty products.* I’m practically a beauty rockstar!* So here are my tips.
1. Don’t wash your hair. Okay, do it every 5-7 days if you can remember. But don’t be washing your hair every day. It’s so totally boring and time-consuming. Even Rosie Pope agrees with me. Buy some dry shampoo, let your hair teach itself to be free and fabulous, and enjoy.
2. Sometimes sleep > showers. Judge me. Go out every Wednesday night and then judge me.
3. Under eye concealer is a must have. If I were stranded on an island and I suddenly did not have eczema (wouldn’t that be magical), this would be my number one skin/beauty product. And, for goodness sake, do not rub it in. Dab lightly! There you go. And, no, I don’t care what brand you get. We’re not looking to spend big bucks here.
4. Almay has these cute little q-tips with makeup remover in them called “makeup eraser sticks.” These are truly amazing because I still don’t know how to put on makeup. Unless you have the makeup application precision of a famous artist in Paris, it would be ridiculous for you not to spend the five dollars or whatever to make your life a little easier. Also, I rub my eyes more than a sleepy child at Christmas so these are great for touchups.
5. When you are 80, you’re not going to be like, “Wow, I wish I had spent more money on makeup when I was in my 20’s.” Erroneous! You are going to wish you had been kinder to your skin. In addition to drinking 500 gallons of water a day, buck up and spend the bulk of your money on a nice face wash and moisturizer for your beautiful face so it stays that way. It’s no secret that I love Clinque, and usually they give away little makeup sets with your purchase anyway.
AND I hope this goes without saying but wear SPF every day. It’s probably in your foundation anyway.
6. When you’re feeling really tired/hungover, put a little bit of gold liner on. It will brighten your eyes right up! I actually take a tiny brush and use gold eyeshadow instead. You’re in your 20’s; you can do shit like this on a daily basis as long as you are in a creative field. Actually, Blake Lively does this so it must be accurate.
7. Vaseline is amazing. Before bed, apply some on your feet and then put on socks. This is obviously especially great in the winter. Year round, you can put it on your lips. Not only will it soothe and repair cracked lips, it adds nice shine that is the perfect way of saying, “I’m not trying hard at all (you’re not!). I’m just naturally pretty.”
That’s all for now, folks.